Thursday, October 13, 2005

Kids-"Ms. she said the "H" word!"

Today they needed me to sub for one of the 1st grade classes for about two hours and it was so funny. 1st graders are so funny and soooooooo different than my 4th graders. They are so needy and so touchy. The whole time they kept calling me Ms. Ms. and poking me to get my attention. I wanted to scream "My name is Ms. Perry and get your fingers off me!" Of course I didn't I let them continue to poke and call me Ms.

It was so funny b/c there was this one little group of girls who were so chatty. I kept having to get on to them for talking. At one point one of the little girls goes, "Ms. she said the "H" word and pointed at the little girl across from her. Without thinking I said, "What's the "H" word?" She continues to say, "who cares." What! (obviously they do not have their alphabet conquered yet) Apparently the little girl told the other one she didn't care about her paper or something. I was trying so hard to not laugh out loud.

Wouldn't it be great if that was the worst thing these kids heard. In reality though we know it isn't. There are so many kids who hear so much worse and have just awful home lives. I have one little girl in my class who actually lives with her 15yr old sister and her boyfriend, b/c her mom is in jail and who knows where her dad is. There is just something not right about that. I just pray daily for these kids and that my teacher and I can be some type of light for these children. I pray that we can love on them no matter who they are or what their lives are like. At least if they are not getting love from home they can hopefully find it in Cristi and I.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Ros,

Yes, you finally did it, got your own blog. I love it!